Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Utilizing Blogs in the Classroom

I am a high school business education teacher and I teach 10th and 11th grade students in Computer Applications II.  I would like to implement web blogs in this course to help students master new concepts that are taught in this class.  When, I introduce  new concepts, I provide students with essential questions so that they will know the specific skills and knowledge that I expect them to  master at the end of each objective.  I would use blogs as an assessment tool for students to share what they had learned about a particular objective and then address any challenges that they may have encounter.  Students would have an opportunity to use blogs to reflect  on knowledge and skills that they  have learned and it can be archive so that  parents  and other stakeholders can view information at later time. Blogs would be an excellent strategy to implement to  help students improve their content knowledge, writing, reading and critical thinking skills. Blog topics can vary from  technology advances, course content, student issues or class projects so this create an environment  where students are engaged in the learning process. Blogs can be used in all subjects regardless of the content area and that makes this tool so powerful.

 After watching the video this week of Mrs. Martin’s class using blogs, I am so elated  that I  now have insight on how incorporating blogs into my  instruction can help students become more active participant in their own learning.  Hearing comments from students stating “ that using blogs are fun,” “you learn better,” “it helps me to determine whether I am on the right track”, prove to me that this is a highly effective educational tool.  Using blogs to respond to problem based activities would allow students to communicate with the teacher and their peers.  This would create an opportunity for students to learn from others and to share information that they have  grasp about key topics.  Students enjoy displaying their work so the blogs would help to motivate students to do their very best because they know that their writings can be viewed by the public.
Resources:
Laureate Education(2010), Video “Spotlight on Technology: Blogging in the Classroom” with
Toffler, A.(1980). Blogging in the Classroom. The third wave. New York: Bantam Books.


6 comments:

  1. One thing that I found that I really find effective in blogs is the ability to look at my students comments or posts and reflect upon my teaching strategies. Upon reading posts submitted by my students, I am able to adequately interpret their level of comprehension on a lesson that I taught. This reflection time allows me to examine how effective my lessons and strategies were. Then I am able to use what worked and rework what was not effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Hazel, I teach high school too! I teach chemistry. You wrote that you enjoy teaching students how to use smartboard. Earlier this past week or so, I posted a message on the discussion board that I had just received a smartboard stand for my smartboard. Now I have to learn how to use it! I would love a few pointers or chemistry lesson smartboard resources. I subscribed to your blog. It would be helpful to add your name to your blog URL, blog header, or introduction so I know which blog is yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using blogs in the classroom is an effective way of teaching students skills in all content areas. One of the positive aspects of using blogs is that classroom discussions that might be cut short because of time or other reasons have the opportunity to become in depth learning discussions. The uses of blogs in the classroom are endless and motivating to students. In order for students to benefit from new technology, they need to be media and informational literate. Introducing students to blogs is one way of moving them into the Communication Age (Thornburg, 2010).

    Thornburg, D. (2010). The third wave. Laureate Education Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hazel,

    I also teach high school students, 10th graders.
    I believe through technology class students can learn most effectively and efficiently about the usage of blog because as you mention the end of the course can be thoroughly focused on it. I also think it's a great idea to involve stakeholders of your school, who can above all be real audience to the students.

    Not to mention, for your plan to be appropriately implemented, it is crucial to teach students the ethical aspect of utilizing blog prior to their usage (Richardson, 2010).

    Reference:
    Richardson, W. (2010). Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.

    Yoshio

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ethical part of using blogs is extremely important because students need to understand the responsibility that comes with using web blogs. Students need to know that there are rules and regulations that governs online activities. I often remind my students that they should always exhibit professional behavior when they are completing online assignments because the standards is still the same as all class assignments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hazel

    The ides using blogs as an assessment tool is great and as a computer teacher you could have students develop their own blogs. If students had their own blog they could submit assignments or postings relating to subject matter that could later be graded for class credit. One suggestion that I think you could easily incorporate is an online filling cabinet. “This creates a digital filling cabinet for students to archive their work and, in effect, creates space for an online portfolio of work.” (Richardson, 2010). I am thinking of possible setting something like this for my class, but instead of using individual blogs I plan on setting up a folder on our district server that would allow for students to file their work into a folder established for the class. In either case, the processes could help students to chronicle their work and give me access to their work for grading purposes.

    Reference:
    Richardson, W. (2010). Blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other powerful web tools for classrooms (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.

    ReplyDelete